Recent Activity History on Windows: You may not be aware of this but whenever you search in the Taskbar search box on your Windows 10 PC, this information will be stored in the system. Additionally, when you press the Win + S key on your PC, you will see a list of your recent search items. You can also check your search history when you click on the Taskbar search box.
Maybe, this is not something you feel comfortable with, and naturally, you may choose to keep this information confidential. Thankfully, there are several things you can clear this information.
If you’re looking at how to clear recent activity history on Windows 10, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, we will provide you with steps to hide your recent activity history on Windows Taskbar.
How Can You Find Recent Activity History on Windows 10?
If you want to see a list of all your recent activities on your computer, you’ll just need to follow the quick steps below:
- First, use the Win + I key on your PC to access Windows settings.
- In Settings, click Privacy.
- On the left side of Windows, select Activity History.
- Scroll down and find Manage my Microsoft account activity data.
- Your default web browser will now open and you will be notified to sign in using your Microsoft account.
- Once logged in, just click the Activity History tab.
- Here, you will be able to see your recent activity history on Windows.
Now, this would be a very useful thing to be on board. For example, when you share your computer with other people, the History tab will let you see what changes have been made to your system. On the other hand, it is also understandable why you may want to disable this option. You may not want others to be able to track your activity on a computer. If so, here’s how to clear Windows 10 search history.
How to Turn Off Recent Activity History on Windows 10?
Once you’re ready to clear your Windows 10 PC history, you’ll need to take the following steps:
- First, use the Win + I key on your keyboard (as we did above) to optimize Windows settings.
- Next, click the Search option.
- Go to the Permissions and History tab.
- In this tab, you will see a section named History.
- Select Clear device search history.
- When you completed this process, your recent activity on Windows has now been cleared.
To verify that your search history has been successfully deleted, you can click the Taskbar search box and check that you can see your recent search. If you can’t, the steps you just took worked. If not, you may need to go back and make sure you have completed all the steps correctly.
Now that your history has been cleared, you may want to take additional steps to ensure that Windows does not continue to maintain your activity history. To do this, you will have to make some changes to the Registry Editor. However, before starting the process in Registry Editor, it is highly recommended that you create a system restore point.
System Restore Point:
The system restore point is a very useful feature in Microsoft Windows that allows users to return to the original location on their system. You can use this feature to fix all malfunctions and problems on your computer.
So, how do you build a system restore point? The process is simple and will not take much of your time. Just follow the steps below.
The first step would be to make sure that System Recovery is enabled on your computer. In most cases, it will be enabled automatically. However, in some cases, it may be accidentally turned off. Therefore, it is best to make sure that the feature is enabled on your PC. Here’s what:
- Go to the search bar and search for “system restore”.
- Click Create a restore point.
- Go to system protection.
- Select the drive you want to view and click Configure.
- Check that turn on system protection is enabled – you will need to enable it in the file
- Rehabilitation Program to work.
Now, you can go ahead and create a Restore Point:
- Go to Start.
- Select Control Panel.
- After that, navigate to System and Maintenance.
- Click System.
- On the left, select System protection.
- Once you get into the system protection tab, click Create.
Enter a description of the restore point you want to build. You can use the date when this recovery was created or explain why you created it: for example, “before updating”.)
- Finally, click on Create.
When you Done it – you have successfully created a system restore point that will help you if something goes wrong when you make changes to the Registry to disable recent activity history on windows.
Now, let’s get back to the editing Registry. Here are the steps you should take to stop recent activity history on windows from storing your search activity information:
- On your keyboard, press the Win + I keys simultaneously.
- Type in “Regedit” (no quotes) and press Enter.
- You can find the User Account Management message – click Yes.
- Next, go this route:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ SearchSettings
Right click on Search Settings> New> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it as “IsDeviceSearchHistoryEnabled”.
- Make sure that the DWORD value is set to 0.
- Click OK to save the changes you have made.
- That’s it – Windows can no longer store Windows search history locally.
So that’s a simple and easy process, we can Search , Delete, and Disable recent activity history on windows 10.